The ultimate quick bread, this Banana Date Bread features a sugary, crunchy brown sugar crust and plump, sweet, chopped dates within. This recipe breaths new life into tired, basic banana bread with simple but extraordinary flavor enhancements.
This banana date bread is perhaps the best banana bread I’ve ever made or had. I know that’s a pretty bold statement because most banana breads are essentially the same. In theory it’s really hard to set each one apart from the other. This particular variation is not only incredibly moist, it boasts sweet bites of delicious dates as well as a crispy, sugary crust on top. It’s like banana bread on steroids. Just so much MORE than what one expects from the classic loaf.
Using brown sugar in the batter yields an almost caramel sweetness which is a wonderful compliment to bananas. It just has more flavor! And then the dates really take this bread over the edge. They have such a distinct flavor, which shockingly is only heightened by their inclusion in this banana date bread. Chewy, decadent dates really put chopped nuts and chocolate chips to shame.
A sprinkling of dark brown sugar over the top before baking creates an amazing caramelized crust. It offsets not only the moist texture of the banana date bread, but also provides an extra layer of sweetness to an otherwise mild breakfast treat. It’s incredible what a minor addition can do to improve upon a timeless favorite.
Banana bread is probably the most common quick bread in many people’s repertoires. That’s mainly because people always seem to have leftover too-ripe bananas that need to fulfill a purpose. I know that’s usually my reason for whipping up homemade banana bread. This banana date bread is so good that I encourage you to make it because you want to. Because it’s worth it. Not simply because you have browning bananas on your counter. It deserves your unconditional love.
Other recipes you may like
- Bouchon Bakery Banana Muffins
- Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Guinness Bread
- French Gingerbread (Pain d’Epices)
- Hummingbird Cake
- Banana Nilla Pudding Pie
What are your favorite quick bread recipes? Let me know in the comments below! And please don’t forget to rate this recipe and share on social media if you’ve enjoyed it. Thank you.
Brown Sugar Banana-Date Bread
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups well-mashed very ripe bananas about 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar for sprinkling
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray and if using a metal loaf pan line the bottom with parchment–no need to line with parchment if using stoneware.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, light brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and dates; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla with a fork. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle the dark brown sugar on top of the loaf. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes (or potentially longer–around 65 minutes if using stoneware), until the loaf is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool the bread in the loaf pan for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Wrapped in parchment or in an airtight container, the bread will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Notes & Nutrition
Pin it for Later!
Amazon disclosure – We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.