A Caribbean inspired summer salad of chopped tomatoes in a curried dressing, served in lettuce cups for a crisp finish.
For my sister's recent birthday dinner, I created a Caribbean experience. We sipped Painkiller cocktails while dining on curried tomato salad, curried citrus rice, and a twist on jerk chicken topped with slices of caramelized carambola, or star fruit.
Today I'm focusing on the curried tomato salad. It seems so unassuming, but it seriously stole the show!
It's incredibly easy to make, and begins with a combination of diced peeled, seeded tomato, and onion. Red onion is the best choice, but I used a brown onion I had on hand and it still turned out really well.
The dressing is super straightforward: mayonnaise, parsley, and curry powder. I use reduced fat mayo for all my mayo needs. It makes me feel just slightly less guilty.
The curry powder I used was obtained on our recent Southern Caribbean cruise on the island of Grenada, otherwise known as the Spice Isle. It was just about as authentic as we could get!
We LOVED this curried tomato salad. It boasts freshness from the tomatoes, sharpness from the onions, creaminess from the mayo, and delicious curry flavor.
And of course don't forget the crunch from the lettuce. I use romaine lettuce as my vessel for this salad, but any lettuce cups will do.
Other recipes you may like
- Authentic Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
- Baked Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
- Jamaican Beef Patties
- Rasta Pasta with Jerk Chicken
- Trinidad Macaroni Pie
- Browse all Caribbean Recipes
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also follow me on social media on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Curried Tomato Salad
- 3 tomatoes peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 large red onion chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Loose-leaf lettuce or romaine lettuce
- Combine the onions and tomatoes in a bowl. Add the salt and pepper, and chill the mixture well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, parsley, and curry powder. Add the curry dressing to the tomato mixture, and mix well. Spoon the tomato-onion mixture onto lettuce leaves, and serve immediately.
*All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.*
Leave a Reply