Sour Cream-Orange Waffles are a delectable way to elevate your weekend waffles. This delicious waffle recipe is enhanced with fresh orange zest and juice, and tangy sour cream. The sour cream orange sauce topping is sweetened with honey for a fragrant finish.
There's nothing quite like brunch to celebrate Mother's Day. Instead of going out this past Sunday, we stayed in and enjoyed these fantastic homemade waffles and mimosas.
These are excellent for any weekend brunch. The essence of orange is laced throughout both the waffle batter and the sour cream-orange sauce for topping. There's tons of fresh orange zest and juice in both components.
I suggest juicing all of the oranges you use for zesting, and then use that freshly squeezed juice to whip up some mimosas alongside. Mimosas served in Champagne flutes really heighten the experience by washing down the waffles with a celebratory cocktail.
I served a total of six people on Sunday, so I doubled the recipe. I have a small waffle maker so it took a bit of extra time to cook the waffles in smaller batches, but it almost felt like a chef's table where I was cooking and serving as the waffles finished baking.
Alternatively I could have gotten an earlier start and kept them warm in the oven and served them all together, but this worked fine too.
My sister said these were the best waffles she's ever had. They are mildly sweet with a really wonderful, fresh orange flavor, and some tang and tenderness from the addition of the sour cream.
Other recipes you may like
- Gaufres de Lièges (Belgian Liège Waffles)
- Lemon Ricotta Waffles with Blueberry Citrus Syrup
- Pumpkin Waffles with Sour Cream and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pancakes with Crunchy Bananas and Chocolate Sauce
- Baked Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole
- Apple Cider French Toast with Streusel
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also follow me on social media on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Sour Cream-Orange Waffles
Sour Cream-Orange Sauce:
- ⅓ cup (2 ½ ounces / 75 grams) sour cream
- ½ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons orange blossom or other wildflower honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 fl oz / 250 ml) whole milk (low fat is fine)
- ½ cup (4 ounces / 125 grams) sour cream
- ½ cup (4 ounces / 125 grams) unsalted butter, melted or ½ cup (4 ounces / 125 ml) canola oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (7 ½ ounces / 235 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Warm honey for serving
- To make the sour cream-orange sauce, in a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, orange zest, orange juice, and honey; it will be thin.
- Preheat a waffle maker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, butter, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour in the egg mixture. Whisk until mostly smooth, with just a few lumps.
- Ladle the batter into the waffle maker, using ½ to ¾ cup (4 to 6 fl oz / 125 to 180 ml) batter per batch. Spread the batter so that it almost reaches the edges of the waffle maker. Cook until the waffles are crisp and browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using a spatula, remove the waffles from the waffle maker and serve the waffles right away, or place the waffles on a baking sheet in a single layer in a 200°F oven for up to 20 minutes before serving. Top with a spoonful of the sauce and light drizzle of honey.
*All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.*