In my last post, I mentioned that I had gone on my aunt’s boat last weekend and took along some pink lemonade cupcakes as well as this buttermilk potato salad. I have always loved this potato salad, but was really impressed by how much the rest of my family loved it. They swooned over it, filling their plates with seconds and thirds and commenting all-the-while that it was the best potato salad they had ever had.
I figured if they all loved it as much as I do, then you would too! It really blows traditional (read: boring) potato salad out of the water. The addition of the tangy buttermilk and the pungent garlic really excites the potatoes into something extraordinary (at least in potato salad terms). I hope you will try this out at your next picnic or family reunion. It’s also just in time for Father’s Day!
The Best Buttermilk Potato Salad
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs red bliss potatoes skin left on, boiled, cooled, and cubed
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 scallions chopped
- Make the dressing by stirring together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Toss the dressing with the potatoes, celery, and scallions.
- Store the potato salad in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This salad benefits from being made at least an hour in advance, allowing the flavors to develop and soak into the potatoes.