Homemade Chile con Queso is worlds better than the stuff in the jar. It's still utterly naughty with the inclusion of Velveeta, but with a generous dose of onion, garlic, and chiles, it's a definite winner.
Football season is my favorite time of the year. One of my favorite things about football season is thinking of fun ideas for snacks to make while enjoying the game.
With that said, it doesn't need to be football season to enjoy football snacks! I like hosting game nights, and the same types of menus are popular for those as well. Snacky foods are so versatile regardless of the occasion.
When planning a football-watching (or anything-watching) get-together with friends, Tex Mex favorites are always a good idea. Here we've got some layer dip, a taco ring, and of course molten hot queso, made from scratch. I know you can simply buy a jar of queso and stick it in the microwave.
You could melt together a block of Velveeta with a jar of salsa too. But what's the fun in that? It's actually quite easy to make homemade chile con queso from scratch, and it's so tasty! I use my beloved homemade pickled jalapenos to really make it special.
What really takes it over the edge for me is finding a bag of Tostitos emblazoned with the logo for the SIX TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS!!
Yep, I'm willing to shell out extra for the one marketed directly to me, a die hard Pats fan. Oh Tostitos, you really get me!
Regardless of who you are rooting for on Sunday (or Monday or Thursday), this easy chile con queso totally satisfies that gooey cheese, spicy, snacky craving at game time.
If you're not into sports, no biggie. That's not a prerequisite to enjoy this amazing queso. One must simply love spicy, tasty cheese dip! We are equal opportunity cheese-lovers here!
Other recipes you may like
- Hot Reuben Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos
- Build-Your-Own Nacho Bar
- Saigon Chicken Wings
- Stromboli with Soppressata, Rapini, and Provolone
- Duck Carnitas Nachos
- Chilaquiles Rojos (Red Chilaquiles)
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also follow me on social media on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Chile con Queso
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 (7-ounce) can Ortega brand diced green chiles drained
- ¾ cup diced canned tomatoes with juice
- ¼ cup drained canned or jarred sliced pickled jalapeno chiles
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Combine the oil, onion, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese and stir frequently until melted. Add the green chiles, tomatoes, and pickled jalapenos and stir until heated through.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve warm with tortilla chips for dipping.
*All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.*