Two of the most popular game day snacks are Buffalo wings and nachos. At least that’s my educated guess. I don’t watch a whole lot of sports outside of the Olympics, but I do support all the Boston/New England teams when I can (and usually if snacks and beer are involved). Since the Patriots were eliminated from the playoffs (don’t remind me!), I can honestly tell you that I will not be watching the conference championships or the Superbowl.
I don’t care enough about the commercials to waste half my day watching something when I have no interest in the outcome. I do realize that many of you will be watching these games, or simply enjoy Buffalo chicken and nachos and want to spice up your repertoire with something new. I introduce to you these Buffalo chicken nachos! I made them last weekend to enjoy while watching the Pats game, but that soon turned into channel surfing to avoid actually watching the game. It was a doozy for Pats fans 🙁
These nachos were easily the highlight of the day! The words “best nachos ever” floated around the room several times. Imagine this… crisp, warm tortilla chips, some infused with spicy Buffalo sauce… tender, spicy Buffalo chicken… crisp, clean celery… gooey, bubbly sharp cheddar cheese… tangy, robust blue cheese bits… all in one bite. If there is a snack food Heaven, these nachos are in it. And when football season is inevitably over, break out this recipe for other sporting events, poker night, movie night, PMS, whatever occasion gets you craving some unhealthy and delicious sustenance. We all have those days 🙂
Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- 1 cup hot sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken (from 2 large breasts)
- 12 oz tortilla chips
- 2 stalks celery trimmed and sliced
- 8 to 10 oz sharp white cheddar cheese shredded (2 to 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Place a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Line a half sheet pan (13-by-17 1/2-inches) with foil for easy cleanup, if desired. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the hot sauce and butter. Heat and stir until the butter emulsifies into the hot sauce and the mixture heats through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat with the sauce and heat the chicken through, another 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the sauce with a slotted spoon and reserve the chicken and Buffalo sauce separately.
- Arrange the tortilla chips in the sheet pan and top with the shredded Buffalo chicken. Add the sliced celery, shredded cheddar, and crumbled blue cheese, making sure to distribute the toppings evenly over the chips, and even tuck some of the toppings in between the chips so the chips on the bottom aren’t completely “naked.” Drizzle the reserved Buffalo sauce over the top of the nachos. It will infuse more flavor into the cheese and soak into some of the chips.
- Bake in the top third of the oven for 5 to 7 minutes until the the nachos are hot and the cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately with a cold beer and plenty of napkins!
Notes & Nutrition
Servings 4.0 * calories 1048 * Total Fat 56 g * Saturated Fat 29 g * Monounsaturated Fat 6 g * Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g * Trans Fat 0 g * Cholesterol 235 mg * Sodium 3273 mg * Potassium 520 mg * Total Carbohydrate 65 g * Dietary Fiber 6 g * Sugars 0 g * Protein 52 g
Servings 6.0 * calories 699 * Total Fat 37 g * Saturated Fat 19 g * Monounsaturated Fat 4 g * Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g * Trans Fat 0 g * Cholesterol 156 mg * Sodium 2182 mg * Potassium 346 mg * Total Carbohydrate 44 g * Dietary Fiber 4 g * Sugars 0 g * Protein 35 g
Servings 8.0 * calories 524 * Total Fat 28 g * Saturated Fat 14 g * Monounsaturated Fat 3 g * Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g * Trans Fat 0 g * Cholesterol 117 mg * Sodium 1636 mg * Potassium 260 mg * Total Carbohydrate 33 g * Dietary Fiber 3 g * Sugars 0 g * Protein 26 g
Servings 12.0 * calories 349 * Total Fat 19 g * Saturated Fat 10 g * Monounsaturated Fat 2 g * Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g * Trans Fat 0 g * Cholesterol 78 mg * Sodium 1091 mg * Potassium 173 mg * Total Carbohydrate 22 g * Dietary Fiber 2 g * Sugars 0 g * Protein 17 g