This simple and hearty Armenian Lentil Soup with Macaroni is lemony and garlicky with a generous amount of cumin! Best of all, it only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish to make this comforting homemade soup.
This Armenian lentil soup recipe is a family favorite. It's easy to make and very satisfying. Featuring hearty lentils, macaroni, and lots of flavor from garlic, lemon juice, and cumin, it's sure to satisfy the soup-lovers in your family as well.
Although there are many varieties of lentil soup you can make, this is definitely a simple standby utilizing pantry staples. There are many delicious reasons to add it to your fall and winter soup rotation!
How to make it
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until almost al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and cook until softened. Then add the lentils, broth, and water, cover and bring the mixture to a boil.
When the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Stir in the cooked pasta, tomato paste, minced garlic, lemon juice, and ground cumin. Season with salt and hot red pepper (such as cayenne), and serve immediately.
Please scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe (in a printable recipe card) including ingredient amounts and detailed instructions.
Although we typically include some chicken broth in this recipe, you can easily make this Armenian lentil soup vegetarian/vegan by swapping it out for water.
You may be tempted to just boil the pasta directly in the soup, but doing so will absorb much of the liquid and leave the soup incredibly thick.
Leftover soup may thicken up as well, as the residual liquid absorbs into the pasta, but feel free to thin it out with a little water or chicken broth when you heat it back up.
Other recipes you may like
- Red Lentil Potato Soup
- Autumn Vegetable Soup with Sausage and Green Lentils
- Red Lentil Kofte (Vospov Kofte)
- Spaghetti with Lentils, Roasted Tomatoes, and Spinach
- Murghi aur Masoor Dal (Bombay-style Chicken with Red Split Lentils)
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also follow me on social media on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Armenian Lentil Soup with Macaroni
- ¾ cup small macaroni such as ditalini, small shells, or stars (pastina)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- 2 cups lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water (if making vegetarian soup, omit chicken broth and use 8 cups water instead)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Kosher salt and hot red pepper such as cayenne
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until almost al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened. Then add the lentils, broth, and water, cover and bring the mixture to a boil. When the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, tomato paste, garlic, lemon juice, and cumin. Season with salt and hot pepper (just a pinch or two), and serve immediately.
*All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.*
Leave a Reply