Macaroni and cheese. It’s one of America’s greatest contributions to the culinary world. This version from is a bit more upscale and Italian in nature. Who cares! It’s macaroni and cheese and it’s delicious. Give this a whirl next time you want to impress your guests and serve mac and cheese that’s fit for a Queen.
Baked Pasta “Bianca” with Cream and Five Cheeses
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 to 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped or shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon or more kosher salt
- 1 pound dried pasta (shells, penne, cavatappi, or your favorite)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Bring a large bowl of water to a boil.
- Combine the cream, 1/2 cup chicken stock, all the cheeses, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Set aside.
- Generously salt boiling water and add pasta. Cook, stirring often, for 4 to 5 minutes. The pasta will be parboiled and too hard to eat; it cooks further in the oven. Drain the pasta and add to the mixing bowl, combining thoroughly with the cheese mixture. If it seems too thick, add more chicken stock until the pasta moves freely and is surrounded by liquid.
- Transfer to individual shallow baking dishes or 1 large shallow baking dish. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the pasta is bubbly hot. Serve right away.