The Hollywood Brown Derby Cobb Salad
A classic and perennial favorite, The Hollywood Brown Derby Cobb Salad is the original chopped salad. Once served to Hollywood's elite, it's accessible to everyone now at Walt Disney World. It's also easy to make on your own with this recipe!
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 cups chopped iceberg lettuce about ½ a head or slightly less
- 2 cups chopped chicory also called curly endive
- ¾ cup chopped watercress
- 8 ounces poached turkey breast finely chopped
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- ½ cup (about 2 ½ ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 6 strips bacon cooked crisp, drained, and crumbled
- 3 hard-boiled eggs peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
The Hollywood Brown Derby Old-Fashioned French Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon minced or crushed garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon dry mustard (mustard powder)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Toss the iceberg lettuce, chicory, and watercress together and arrange in a large salad bowl. In straight and separate lines, arrange the turkey, tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese, bacon, and eggs on top of the greens. Sprinkle the chives in a diagonal line across the salad.
To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the water, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic, sugar, pepper, and dry mustard until combined. Whisking constantly, add the vegetable oil and the olive oil in a slow steady stream until the dressing is emulsified. Store covered and chilled until ready to serve. Whisk the dressing to blend just before serving. Makes ⅔ cup dressing.
Present the salad at the table, toss with the dressing and serve.
Adapted from Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs
- Aim to chop everything into about ¼-inch pieces, from the greens to the toppings.
- For a shortcut: use a slab of store-bought roasted turkey from the deli counter. You can also try making the salad with roasted chicken breast instead.
Calories: 715kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 60g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 267mg | Sodium: 1415mg | Potassium: 625mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g