Because anything can be made Buffalo chicken… I’ve made it my unofficial mission in life to create as many variations of Buffalo chicken as I possibly can. From nachos to macaroni and cheese, quiche to enchiladas, it’s been a really fun mission! These meatballs aren’t quite as spicy as some of their counterparts, but they are moist and delicious. Along with some really simple and tangy blue cheese dressing, they are the perfect addition to game day (or really any day). Feel free to drizzle them with additional Buffalo sauce if you’d like to make them extra hot!
Mini Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot hot sauce or any other favorite hot sauce
- 1 pound ground chicken preferably thigh meat
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 celery stalk minced, plus celery sticks for serving
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To make the blue cheese dressing: Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk thoroughly until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. Makes 2 cups.
- To make the meatballs: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle the vegetable oil into a 9×13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and hot sauce in a small saucepan, and cook over low heat, whisking until the butter is melted and fully incorporated. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the hot sauce mixture, ground chicken, egg, celery, bread crumbs, and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- Roll the mixture into round, 3/4-inch balls, making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball should read 165 degrees F.
- Allow the meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving. Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks, if desired.
Notes & Nutrition
|Buffalo Chicken Meatballs|
Servings 40.0 * calories 37 * Total Fat 2 g * Saturated Fat 1 g * Monounsaturated Fat 0 g * Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g * Trans Fat 0 g * Cholesterol 18 mg * Sodium 170 mg * Potassium 4 mg * Total Carbohydrate 1 g * Dietary Fiber 0 g * Sugars 0 g * Protein 3 g
|Blue Cheese Dressing (2 cups = 32 tbsp, 1 servings = 2 tbsp)|
Servings 16.0 * calories 65 * Total Fat 6 g * Saturated Fat 3 g * Monounsaturated Fat 1 g * Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g * Trans Fat 0 g * Cholesterol 4 mg * Sodium 221 mg * Potassium 31 mg * Total Carbohydrate 1 g * Dietary Fiber 0 g * Sugars 1 g * Protein 1 g