Salmon is an extremely versatile fish that can be prepared in many ways. This easy Salmon Piccata with garlic, lemon, capers, and baby spinach is so flavorful, and simple enough for a weeknight meal!
Salmon is one of the most widely available and commonly cooked fishes in the United States. There are many ways to prepare salmon, but easily one of my favorites is this Garlic-Lemon Salmon Piccata. It’s super citrusy, a wonderful flavor profile for any fish dish, and adds a burst of bright green color from handfuls of baby spinach and a sprinkle of parsley to finish.
How to make Salmon Piccata
This recipe is as simple as it gets. Season and flour salmon fillets, and then cook in them in butter and olive oil in a skillet. Remove the salmon from the pan, and then make the sauce. Melt some more butter, than add garlic, lemon juice, white wine, capers, lemon slices, and baby spinach. Cook the sauce until fragrant and the spinach is wilted. Then return the salmon fillets to the pan and coat with the sauce. Finish with a sprinkle of parsley, and dinner’s ready!
I find that this salmon is never dry because it’s pan-seared and cloaked in the delicious lemon, garlic, and white white sauce. Although the recipe calls for four 6-ounce fillets of fish, you can use smaller fillets if you prefer, which is what I did. I took a side of salmon (weighing just over 1 1/2 pounds) and cut it into relatively equal-sized portions. I’ve also make this recipe with grilled salmon! Season and grill the salmon, and make the sauce the way it says to in the recipe. Then add the grilled salmon into the piccata sauce. When it’s grilling season, this is a great option to get a little extra smoky flavor into your salmon.
Other recipes you may like
- Salmon with Quinoa Salad and Arugula Chimichurri
- Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Lemon-Horseradish Cream
- Pescado a la Veracruzana (Veracruz-Style Fish)
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Fish Hash
- Le Bernardin’s Salmon Rillettes
How do you prepare your salmon? Do you have any favorite recipes? Share them in the comments below!
Garlic-Lemon Salmon Piccata
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (I also like to sprinkle paprika on my salmon fillets)
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (or equivalent weight salmon in small fillets)
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup capers drained
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In a shallow baking dish, add flour. Season salmon with salt and pepper (and paprika if desired), then dredge in the flour, and toss until coated.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil. Add salmon and cook until golden, 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to skillet. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute, then add lemon juice and white wine and bring to a simmer. Stir in capers, lemon slices and spinach and let cook down until wilted, 2 minutes.
- Return salmon to skillet and combine. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Pin it for Later!
Amazon disclosure – We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.