This rustic and hearty Lola Rosa Salad is perfect for late summer and fall. Loaded with chopped apples, cucumbers, roasted golden beets, pecans, goat cheese, and grilled chicken, it’s the ultimate salad for savory and sweet lovers.
I recently visited Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina where I enjoyed a light lunch upon the deck overlooking the shimmering pool and the iconic Newport Bridge spanning across Narragansett Bay. I selected an appealing-sounding salad topped with chicken, and two bites in knew that I would be recreating the salad in my own kitchen soon afterwards.
The Lola Rosa salad at Gurney’s is a combination of mixed greens, fresh diced cucumber, tart Granny Smith apple, sweet golden beets, crunchy jicama, chewy dried cranberries, nutty candied pecans, and tangy goat cheese with citrus vinaigrette and the optional grilled chicken breast for added protein.
I kept true to the original, except for the jicama, which I don’t think added much other than crunchy texture, which you’re getting with most of the other ingredients anyway.
This is the salad of my dreams. My rendition features a lot more of the salad toppings than Gurney’s offered, but you could easily adjust the quantity to your liking (you could reduce the cucumbers, apples, and beets by half and increase the greens by another ounce or so). I was so impressed by the simplicity and deliciousness of the homemade version of this salad, that I made it 2 days in a row for lunch! It’s fresh, tasty, and perfect for late summer and fall.
Lola Rosa Salad
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces mixed greens
- 1/2 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) diced hothouse cucumber, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) diced Granny Smith apple, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup (about 3 ounces) diced roasted golden beets*
- 3 tablespoons (about 1 ounce) dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (about 1 ounce) candied pecans
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 grilled chicken breast sliced
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the orange and lemon juices with the honey. Drizzle in the oil while whisking, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mixed greens to the bowl, and toss to evenly coat the leaves with dressing.
- Divide the dressed mixed greens between 2 serving dishes, and top evenly with half each of the diced cucumber, apple, beets, dried cranberries, pecans, goat cheese, and the chicken breast slices. Serve immediately.
|Servings 2.0 * calories 557 * Total Fat 26 g * Saturated Fat 7 g * Monounsaturated Fat 2 g * Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g * Trans Fat 0 g * Cholesterol 118 mg * Sodium 901 mg * Potassium 405 mg * Total Carbohydrate 31 g * Dietary Fiber 2 g * Sugars 15 g * Protein 65 g|
Amazon disclosure – We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.